Monday, October 12, 2020

Different Education Rich Dad Poor Dad Book

Different Education

In 1973, in my last year of active duty flying for the Marine

Corps when I was stationed near home in Hawaii, I knew I wanted

to follow in my rich dad’s footsteps. While in the Marines, I signed

up for real estate courses and business courses on the weekends,

preparing to become an entrepreneur in the B and I quadrants.

At the same time, upon a friend’s recommendation of a friend,

I signed up for a personal-development course, hoping to find out

who I really was. The personal-development course is non-traditional

education because I was not taking it for credits or grades. I did not

know what I was going to learn, as I did when I signed up for real

estate courses. All I knew was that it was time to take courses to find

out about me.

In my first weekend course, the instructor drew this simple

the diagram on the flip chart:

SPIRITUAL

EMOTIONAL

MENTAL

PHYSICAL

 

With the diagram complete, the instructor turned and said,

“To develop into a whole a human being, we need mental, physical,

emotional, and spiritual education.”

Listening to her explanation, it was clear to me that traditional schools were primarily about developing students mentally. That is why so many students who do well in school, do not do well in real life, especially in the world of money. As the course progressed over the weekend, I discovered why I disliked

school. I realized that I loved learning, but hated school.

Traditional education was a great environment for the “A”

students, but it was not the environment for me. Traditional education was crushing my spirit, trying to motivate me with the emotion of fear: the fear of making mistakes, the fear of failing, and the fear of not getting a job. They were programming me to be an employee in the E or S quadrant. I realized that traditional education is not the place for a person who wants to be an entrepreneur in the B and I quadrants.

 

This may be why so many entrepreneurs never finish school—

entrepreneurs like Thomas Edison, founder of General Electric; Henry Ford, founder of Ford Motor Company; Steve Jobs, founder of Apple; Bill Gates, founder of Microsoft; Walt Disney, founder of Disneyland; and Mark Zuckerberg, founder of Facebook.

As the day went on and the instructor went deeper and deeper into

these four types of personal development, I realized I had spent most of my life in very harsh educational environments. After four years at an all-male military academy and five years as a Marine pilot, I was pretty strong mentally and physically. As a Marine pilot, I was strong emotionally and spiritually, but all on the macho-male development side.

I had no gentle side, no female energy. After all, I was trained to

be a Marine Corps officer, emotionally calm under pressure, prepared to kill, and spiritually prepared to die for my country.

If you ever saw the movie Top Gun starring Tom Cruise, you get

a glimpse into the masculine world and bravado of military pilots. I

loved that world. I was good in that world. It was a modern-day world of knights and warriors. It was not a world for wimps.

 

In the seminar, I went into my emotions and briefly touched my

spirit. I cried a lot because I had a lot to cry about. I had done and

seen things no one should ever be asked to do. During the seminar,

I hugged a man, something I had never done before, not even with

my father. On Sunday night, it was difficult leaving this self-development workshop. The seminar had been a gentle, loving, honest environment.

Monday morning was a shock to once again be surrounded by young

egotistical pilots, dedicated to flying, killing, and dying for the country.

After that weekend seminar, I knew it was time to change. I knew

developing myself emotionally and spiritually to become a kinder,

gentler, and more compassionate person would be the hardest thing

I could do. It went against all my years at the military academy and

flight school.

I never returned to traditional education again. I had no desire

to study for grades, degrees, promotions, or credentials again. From

then on, if I did attend a course or school, I went to learn, to become

a better person. I was no longer in the paper chase of grades, degrees, and credentials.

Growing up in a family of teachers, your grades, the high school

and college you graduated from, and your advanced degrees were

everything. Like the medals and ribbons on a Marine pilot’s chest,

advanced degrees and brand-name schools were the status and the

stripes that educators wore on their sleeves. In their minds, people

who did not finish high school were the unwashed, the lost souls of

life. Those with master’s degrees looked down on those with only

bachelor degrees. Those with a Ph.D. were held in reverence. At the

age of 26, I knew I would never return to that world.

 

Editor’s Note: In 2009, Robert received an honorary Ph.D. in

entrepreneurship from prestigious San Ignacio de Loyola in

Lima, Peru. The few other recipients of this award are political

leaders, such as the former President of Spain.

 

No comments:

Bookkeeping Accounting

Share Capital and Rights of Shareholders

SHARE CAPITAL   Main Sources of Corporate Finance There are four main sources of obtaining or raising funds to finance a company. Sh...